1. Introduction and Definitions
2. The Types of Data Acquired About You
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII). We acquire PII that may include, in certain contexts, your name, postal address, zip code, email address, and telephone number. We also acquire your IP address, User ID, and/or Device ID, which certain jurisdictions consider to be PII because it could be used to identify an individual or Device if it were combined with other identifying information.
- Sensitive PII. In certain circumstances, such as when purchasing a Product, you may provide a credit, debit, or payment account number, or other payment information which we recognize as more sensitive than other PII. We generally do not request on or through the Service other Data that is often considered “highly sensitive,” such as other financial account information (e.g., credit report information, bank account numbers), personal health information, or government issued identification numbers (e.g., social security number, drivers’ license number, or passport number), although we reserve the right to do so when such Data is necessary to offer you certain services.
- Anonymous Data. Some of the Data that we acquire cannot identify, distinguish or trace you or your Device, even if combined with other identifying information, and some Data that could be considered PII when combined with other identifying information is not used in a way that identifies, distinguishes or traces you or your Device, but is instead used in an anonymous way, often aggregated with other anonymous Data about other users.
3. How We Acquire Your Data
- Data You Provide. We mostly receive PII because you provide it to us. For instance, when you enter a contest, complete a survey, purchase a Product, or register and/or set up an account/profile, you may be provided, or required to choose, a password and/or User ID, and you may provide a credit, debit, or payment account number, or other payment information, as well as your name, telephone number(s), email and/or street address. Other Data such as your age, gender, an avatar, and preferences may also be requested. In addition, we may acquire your Data when you contact us by telephone, postal mail, social media interaction or messaging (e.g., email, SMS, MMS, or similar technologies). We also may acquire information that you provide about other people, for example, when you use our “refer-a-friend” email feature or purchase one of our Products as a gift.
- Data Automatically Collected. The Service may also automatically collect Data about you, your online behavior and your Device. The Data collected may include, without limitation, the make, model, settings, specifications (e.g., CPU speed, connection speed, browser type, operating system, device identifier) and geographic location of you and/or your Device, as well as date/time stamp, IP address, pages visited, time of visits, Content viewed, ads viewed, the site(s), application(s), destination(s), and/or service(s) you arrived from, and other clickstream data. The Service may collect your Data even if the Service is not open on your Device or you’re not logged in.
- Data Acquired Elsewhere. We may also acquire your PII or other Data offline or otherwise outside of the Service. For example, we may purchase or otherwise acquire such Data from third party data suppliers. We reserve the right to merge or co-mingle this other Data with your PII and Data collected on or through the Service.
- Social Network Integration. If you choose to access, visit and/or use any third party social networking service(s) that may be integrated with the Service, we may receive your Data that has been made available to those services, including information about your contacts on those services. For example, some social networking services allow you to push Content from our Service to your contacts or to pull information about your contacts so you can connect with them on or through our Service. Some social networking services also will facilitate your registration for our Service or enhance or personalize your experience on our Service. Your decision to use a social networking service in connection with our Service is voluntary. However, you should make sure you are comfortable with your Data the third party social networking services may make available us by visiting those services’ privacy policies and/or modifying your privacy settings directly with those services. We reserve the right to use, transfer, assign, sell, share, and provide access to all of your Data that we receive through third-party social networking services in the same ways as all of your Data we receive through our Service (as described in Section IV below).
- Be Careful Publicly Posting PII. Please be aware that Content and PII that you disclose in publicly accessible portions of the Service may be available to other users, and may also be made available outside the Service by third parties, so you should be mindful of all PII, especially sensitive PII, that you may wish to post.
4. How We Use Your Data
- Processing Your Requests for Products. We use your Data to process your request for Content and/or other Product(s). For example, if you subscribe to any of our Products we may use your e-mail address to send you a confirmation notice and your mailing address to send you the Product. Similarly, if you enter a contest, we will use your PII to notify you if you are a winner. If you enter a contest or submit Content to us (e.g., a “letter to our editors” or online review or comment), we may also publish your name, screen name, home town and other PII you have provided to us.
- Administering the Service. We also use your Data for any lawful business purpose in connection with administering the Service, including without limitation for customer service, to help diagnose problems with servers, to improve Products that we offer by tailoring them to your needs, to gather broad demographic information, to analyze trends, to seek compatible advertisers, sponsors, clients and customers, and to track users’ movements around the Service and elsewhere on the web or across apps and/ devices. Your geographic location Data may specifically be used to show you Content (including advertising and sponsored messaging) based on geographic location.
- Access by Third Party Providers. We may also allow access to your Data by Third Party Providers that provide us with services, such as technical maintenance, market research, community and forums management, auction services, e-commerce, personal/job search and other advertising functionality, but only for the purpose of and to the extent necessary to provide those services. And if you choose to purchase or subscribe to any Product(s), we may forward your Data to Third Party Providers for services such as credit/debit card or other payment processing, order fulfillment, credit pre-authorization, and address verification. There are also times when you provide Data to us in areas of the Service that may be managed or participated in by one or more Third Party Providers. In such cases, the Data may be used by us and by such Third Party Provider(s), each pursuant to its own policies. While we may seek to require Third Party Providers to follow appropriate privacy policies and will not authorize them to use your Data except for the express purpose for which it is provided, we do not bear any responsibility for any actions or policies of third parties.
- Marketing Communications. We may also use your Data to communicate with you about new features, events or Products offered by us, Third Party Providers, our advertisers, and other companies and individuals with which we have a relationship.
- Transfer or Sale of Our Business. As our business changes, we may buy or sell various assets owned or controlled by us. In the event all or a portion of the assets are sold, assigned, transferred or acquired by another company due to merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, financing, acquisition, bankruptcy or otherwise, your Data may be among the transferred assets.
- Combining Your Anonymous Data with PII. We reserve the right to merge or co-mingle anonymous, non-personally identifiable Data about you, your offline and online behavior, and/or your Device (including its geographic location), with your PII for any lawful business purpose.
5. Sharing Your Data for Marketing; Opt-Out; How to Update Your Data
- Credit/Debit Card and Payment Account Data. We will not sell or rent your credit/debit card number or payment account Data. We may transfer such Data to Third Party Providers who need access to fulfill a transaction.
- Sharing Your Data for Marketing. Unless otherwise specified on the Service, we may sell or share your Data among our parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates and with other third parties who we think may offer or enable you to become aware of Products that may be of interest to you.
- How to Opt-Out of Marketing Messages from Us. If you do not wish to receive future marketing or other commercial messages from us, simply follow the unsubscribe instructions contained within the message you receive. But note that you may continue to receive certain communications from us that are necessary for the Service, such as renewal notifications, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative service bulletins.
6. Cookies and Related Technologies; Do Not Track (DNT)
- Cookies/Local Device Storage. The Service will at times place and/or store code or other types of information and/or software on your Device or within your browser, such as cookies (including flash cookies), locally shared objects, and HTML5 (collectively, “Local Device Storage”). We and Third Party Providers may use Local Device Storage in connection with the Service for any lawful business purpose, including without limitation to determine whether you have seen a particular advertisement before on the same or different Device and to otherwise control the display of ads, to track the movements of individual users through the Service and elsewhere on the web or across apps, devices, and geographic locations, to help diagnose problems with servers, to gather broad demographic information, to conduct research, to deliver editorial Content, to record registration and personalization information, and to otherwise administer the Service. For example, if you register on any part of the Service and are given the option to save your user name and password, we may provide this convenience to you via Local Device Storage. Local Device Storage may also collect and store your PII, which may be shared with our parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates and other third parties.
- You May Disable Local Device Storage. If you do not want Local Device Storage, your Device or browser may include an option that allows you to not accept it. However, if you disable Local Device Storage, some portions of the Service may not function properly.
- Tracking Technologies. In addition to Local Device Storage, we may use web beacons, web bugs, internet or pixel tags, clear gifs, digital fingerprinting (aka “Machine Identification”) and similar technologies (collectively, together with Local Device Storage, the “Tracking Technologies”) on the Service and in our communications with you, such as within e-mail and text messages and push notifications. We use Tracking Technologies to determine which of our messages have been opened by recipients, and for all or some of the same lawful business purposes we describe above for use of Local Device Storage.
- Do Not Track (DNT). Your browser setting may allow you to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” (DNT) signal to websites and online services that you visit. There is no consensus among industry participants as to what DNT means in this context, and some browsers automatically apply DNT signals by default and therefore do not necessarily reflect our visitors’ choice as to whether they wish to receive advertisements tailored to their interests. As a result, like many websites and online services, we do not alter our practices when the Service receives a DNT signal from a visitor’s browser. As discussed below, you may opt out of the use of your Data for online behavioral advertising by third parties at any time. To find out more about DNT, please visit http://allaboutdnt.com.
7. Online Behavioral Advertising (OBA) and How to Opt-Out of OBA
B. Opt-Out of OBA. If you do not want OBA, you may be able to opt-out by visiting http://www.aboutads.info, http://www.networkingadvertising.org, http://www.youronlinechoicees.com/uk/ and/or by clicking the “Ad Choices” icon that appears in advertising served through OBA. Please note that the option to opt-out applies only to tracking by Third Party Providers across this Service and other sites, applications, destinations and services, and not tracking among pages within the Service itself. Residents of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland have additional options as described below in Section XII(B) to exercise choices with respect to OBA.
8. Transfer of Your Data Among Jurisdictions
9. Data Security and Notification
- Security Measures. We take commercially reasonable security measures to protect against unauthorized access to, or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of, PII that you share with us.
- No Liability for Breach. Because no data transmission is completely secure, and no system of physical or electronic security is impenetrable, we cannot guarantee the security of the Data that you send to us or the security of servers, networks or databases, and by using the Service you agree to assume all risk in connection with your Data. We are not responsible for any loss of such Data or the consequences thereof.
- Breach Notification. In the event that we believe the security of your Data in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you. If notification is appropriate, we may notify you by e-mail, push notification, or otherwise.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
This policy was last updated Oct. 7, 2018.